String termination question

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Jan 13 21:05:19 MST 2008

Wim --

BUT... As I understand it, one of the important reasons for the X and Y axis
to terminate at exactly the same point, (at the bridge), is that if one axis
is different than the other then the string is essentially a different
length in one axis than the other. This increases inharmonicity and causes
conflicting partials in the two axis. This is a similar reason as to why the
windings on bass strings must be the same length and end at the same
distance from BOTH termination points. I understand that, among other
things, equal termination at the bridge equates to maximum transfer of
energy to the soundboard, but doesn't unequal termination at the agraffe or
capo bar cause distortion in the string waveform that not only increases
inharmonicity and unwanted conflicting partials but also a loss in overall
energy?

I don't mean to start an argument. I'm really just interested in the
mechanical logic of this centuries old manufacturing practice. For all I
know the contribution of any errors at the agraffe or capo bar may be so
insignificant as to be unworthy of consideration. I'm just curious.

-- Geoff Sykes, Los Angeles