String termination question

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Mon Jan 14 11:08:11 MST 2008

Aha! This is the answer I was searching for. In fact it even did a lightbulb
routine above my head during breakfast this morning. Reading your response
just confirmed that what I had realized actually made sense.

The problem isn't that we are limited to only one axis of termination at the
agraffe/capo bar, it's the reason why we are forced into having two at the
bridge. The bearing at the agraffe/capo bar is aggressive enough to define a
positive termination point. But at the bridge we can't have that much "down"
bearing due to the fact that it would flatten out the soundboard and prevent
it from vibrating. So, with the need for lower downbearing at the bridge
adequate termination is not possible without some help. Therefore, in order
to create a definite termination at the bridge the use of two pins to put
that "S" kink, or clamp, in the string was developed. This clamping provides
a sideways bearing that's pretty much equivalent to the bearing already
present at the agraffe/capo bar. Now we have good termination, but we are
now also stuck with two axis of termination. One against the side of the pin
and one against the notch in the bridge. Hence the need to be careful that
both those axis are in alignment.

Physics can be pretty cool sometimes. Thanks to all for the replies.

-- Geoff Sykes, Los Angeles