String termination question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 14 12:00:04 MST 2008

 >Now we have good termination, but we are
> now also stuck with two axis of termination. One against the side of the pin
> and one against the notch in the bridge. Hence the need to be careful that
> both those axis are in alignment.

One more time. There is no need for careful alignment other
than keeping the notch edge out of the speaking length. The
pin is the termination. The PIN is the termination. THE PIN IS
THE TERMINATION. That is in both the vertical and horizontal
excursion, just as the capo is the termination in both the
vertical and horizontal excursion. If the pin is tight in the
cap at the cap surface, where it won't flagpole, there won't
be the classic false beat even with the notch clear behind the
pin. The beat is NOT caused by the string sliding up and down
the pin.
Ron N