action storage

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 14:53:32 MST 2008

Bill,

I am just struggling with the same question, and found your post about action
storage interesting.

I have a 1200 sq ft shop which fills up pretty quickly with random parts and
stuff.

Chuck's article in the journal was thought provoking, and it helped me to define
what specifically I was looking to achieve. I took away some ideas that I found
useful and discarded some that did not fit my situation.

The biggest useful idea, for  my situation, and the way I work ( and the size of
my shop) was that realized that I want one dedicated storage unit for all the
small disappearing random bits of each personal piano, including:

1- the action and  all its unassembled parts (keyframe/whippens/shanks/etc)
I want all these disembodied bits in dedicated, properly sized, easily
accessed/removed boxes in one storage unit.

2- the hardware, all of it...every last miraculously disappearing screw

3- the key frame at a comfortable waist height so there is no bending or umphing
to load and unlaod ungainly keyframes. Actually I made that shelf  to fit the height of the
top of my personal my hip (one man shop)

4- an action tool drawer ( flat 1" deep surgery style, with all the tools laid
next to each other in plain sight) that traveled with the action, and could be
easily transferred to another storage unit. (I think visually, my hand can find
the tool much easier if the eyes scans the available tools first)

5-mobile

6-store bridges/unassembled soundboard parts.

7-small footprint

So, I designed a moblile cart to contain the above   24 x 53 x 40"

I decided I did'nt want the case parts to be on this trolley.  I have a small
noise mitigating cyclone/compressor room I built to cut down the dustcollector's
low frequency noise. The case parts will go on the wall in there away from the
hustle and bustle of the shop floor. (I know from cruel experience how well I
can mangle these parts if I allow myself near them with all  the too-ing and
fro-ing and binging and banging about on the shop floor.)

I'd be interested to know what you come up with, as it helps me to clarify my
own thoughts.

Jim I