broken tuning pin

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 15 15:07:35 MST 2008

Noah:
You've got 2 choices:
1:  If a grand, drive the pin out through the bottom of the pinblock.
Support the pinblock so it doesn't split apart, and use a 1/4" hardened
steel drift (punch).
2.  Broken tuning pin removal tool, available from Pianotek.  One end is
a female tapered left-hand thread, which will lock onto the end of the
tuning pin as you turn it counter-clockwise.  The other end looks just
like the end of a tuning pin, so you can use your tuning hammer to turn
it.  Also available from Schaff a lower price, guaranteed to twist in
two the first time you use it. DAMHIK.

Mike