broken tuning pin

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Tue Jan 15 15:28:52 MST 2008

If it is a grand, you might be able to drive it through.
On an upright, you could try to cut a slot, with a Dremel type tool, and use a screwdriver.
There are special pin removal tools. Basically a reverse threaded tip, that bites into what is left, and backs it out.
Then again, drill a hole from behind, that lines up exactly with the pin, and pound through.
I have never tried to drill a hole in the centre of the pin, and drill it out, but that also would be an option.
I think, since '75, I have only broken one pin, and that was at the becket hole. I was lucky, it came out with vice grips.

John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca