Accepting credit cards

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 15 16:52:04 MST 2008

I have simply told people, "I'm much too small a business to deal with
credit cards," and never had the slightest hassle. I am, however an utter
failure at business. I don't call, I don't email, I don't post card. My data
base even is miserable.  Yet year after year the business keeps growing.  My
grandad used to pound into me "Do better work than the other guys and work
will find you."  I've tried that- it's the only thing I know, and well, it's
worked.  No credit card stuff for me!  Oh, and as to the tax thread.......
I am a failure at that too. I simply run a tiny spreadsheet I made myself,
then throw all my receipts and stuff in an envelope and send them to a guy
in Indiana (I lived there 30 years ago when he was just starting) and he
charges modestly, tells me to worry about my work and he'll take care of my
taxes, and he's worth his weight in gold. Being an enrolled agent he's got
some power, but I don't know how that would pan out if a major audit problem
arose.  However he says there is such a shortage of IRS agents, that if
there aren't big red flags, the chances of an audit these days is tiny.
I've survived two- neither of which he attended- and done quite decently
with them.........      I failed to go to the class at convention "If you
don't net $100K, you need this class."  That's where I've probably screwed
up. But I have all the freedom of self employment, a few of the worries,
keep my financial ducks lined up so have no debt, and would not go back to
living in the "real world" for even a huge amount of money.

Just my blathering.......
les bartlett

-

Checked by AVG Free Edition.