Soundboard installation with hide glue

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 21:03:39 MST 2008

Hi Stephane
  Here in the States we have cold hide glue in   bottle.  How convenient !!.
   It has a long working time.  I have  glued in dozens of boards with this
glue.  It will set up hard &  produce an incredibly strong  joint. If you are
able to find it it is  made by Franklins & comes in a brown bottle but make
sure it's fresh & not out of date. Easier than adding urea to  extend pot life.
  For what it's worth.
  Dale Erwin

Hi  list.

I'm about to install my second new soundboard into my 23rd  piano.  The first
one I glued with fish glue.  This one, I want  to try with hide glue, as I
read somewhere that only this glue will and  fill the small gaps efficiently,
and dry very hard, favoring minimal energy  loss at the joint.
Do you think at some cave at's, or do you have special  advice for this
situation ?  I already understood that I need one or  two helpers in order to
spread the glue very quickly.
I'm just asking  now, because Friday it will be too late.
A fellow restorer did tell me to  bore the holes in the soundboard at the
place for the plate bolts in two  times, starting the hole from below, and
finishing from above, in order to  avoid those nasty wood splits when the
bore come out.  I know this can  sound pretty obvious for some, but I have to
admit that I wouldn't have  thought of it, and would have had to do the first
bad experience before  upgrading my process.
I'm now in the mood of upgrading my process before  doing some more bad
experience.  You all know what I  mean.

Thanks in advance.

Peace to all.

Stéphane  Collin.