Soundboard installation with hide glue

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 21:13:08 MST 2008

I guess my question is why?  There are other glues that have longer working
time, are easier to work with, don't require temperature control of surfaces
or environments, are stronger, dry just as hard or harder, and I don’t think
energy loss at the glue joint is an issue.  Of course they aren't
"traditional" but then, who cares.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com
Hi list.

I'm about to install my second new soundboard into my 23rd piano.  The first
one I glued with fish glue.  This one, I want to try with hide glue, as I
read somewhere that only this glue will and fill the small gaps efficiently,
and dry very hard, favoring minimal energy loss at the joint.

[snip]

Thanks in advance.

Peace to all.

Stéphane Collin.