Soundboard installation with hide glue

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 16 08:42:09 MST 2008

> I'm about to install my second new soundboard into my 23rd piano.  The first
> one I glued with fish glue.  This one, I want to try with hide glue, as I
> read somewhere that only this glue will and fill the small gaps efficiently,
> and dry very hard, favoring minimal energy loss at the joint.

You can read somewhere that the earth is flat too, if you
like. In reality, there are a number of less touchy
alternatives to hot hide glue for soundboard work, none of
which will detectably suck up energy at the joint. I recommend
going back to the fish glue if it worked for you last time. If
you're wanting to try hide glue expecting a better sound from
that alone, you'll be disappointed with the result even if you
survive the process.

> I'm now in the mood of upgrading my process before doing some more bad
> experience.  You all know what I mean.

Indeed, which is why you're getting so many recommendations
against using hot hide glue.

Ron N