Soundboard installation with hide glue

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 13:37:43 MST 2008

At 19:44 +0100 17/1/08, Stéphane Collin wrote:

>So I asked for their standard procedure, which I think is quite nice, as the
>board was nicely crowned at 40 % humidity.

Hello Stéphane,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but they may turn out to be less
disastrous than you fear.  Let time do a bit of work for you and see
if there is any real damage.

In a posting in November I described briefly the traditional English
way a soundboard is made :
  <http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2007-November/213166.html>

and I presume the Italians follow the same sort of procedure.  As you
see the only drying out involved is when the glued-up board is put in
the drying chamber _before_ the ribs (these _not_ dried out) are
glued on.  The crown develops as the board re-absorbs moisture from
the normal environment, and once it has done so and settled down, it
is ready to be trimmed to fit, the bridges fitted, the underside
varnished, and glued in.  There is absolutely no need to dry out the
soundboard (and ribs!) once the thing is made, and I presume it could
be pretty harmful, though a lot less harmful than drying it out after
it's stuck in -- and you have enough evidence of this from the old
Bechsteins you have seen!  It is no

Your humidity figures I find rather astonishing:

At 19:44 +0100 17/1/08, you wrote:

>Apparently, I dried the board too much, as it went reverse crowning.
>Strange enough, after 24 hours back in 40 % 22 ° celcius environment, the
>board still remains reverse crowned.  I'm fearing something irreversible
>happened.

I am lucky to achieve double the first and half the second at the
moment, so I envy both you and the Val di Fiemme such warmth and
dryness, but I'd suggest you take the soundboard somewhere
old-fashioned for a while and let it breathe in a bit or real Belgian
air.

JD