Oblong Tuning Tips

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 14:44:21 MST 2008

At 15:55 -0500 17/1/08, Farrell wrote:

>I had trouble today saying no.  I told a lady I'd tune her old
>English birdcage......
>
>My oblong tuning tip is way too big - I guess it must just be for
>square grands - it spins on the English birdcage pins. What kind of
>tip do I need? I see Harpsicord levers in the Schaff catalog, but
>they come with star tips. They have a European tuning lever, but
>that comes with either a star or square tip - these pins are
>definitely oblong.

You want one of these on the right -- and so do would I if I had
decided to keep the 6.40mm oblong pins in my latest acquisition.
Although I have an ancient oblong T-hammer it is far too loose on
these pins, though it does the job.

Otherwise get a regular square head, heat it to bright red and hammer
or press it oblong.