Soundboard drydown for installation

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 16:29:04 MST 2008

I think this goes back to traditional engineering arch theory. If you dry
the board down, it will have a slightly smaller footprint - the ribs will
shrink a teeny-weeny bit and at least the top of the panel will shrink. Then
if you glue the dried board into a tightly fitting case, when the board
takes on moisture and crown develops, the crown will be enhanced because now
the board can't expand that little bit (the rib lengths and the top of the
panel). So now the case is supporting the crown and the ribs are an arch.

'Course, none of this actually works - the ribs won't shrink much, the panel
top edge will just crush when it expands the 1/10 mm that it might move and
the rim has enough flex to negate any "arch" support.

But I think the first paragraph above is pretty much the reason the practice
persists. And in any case, even if it doesn't have any significant effect,
some minimal drying prior to installation is likely to make most any
rebuilder sleep better at night because s/he hasn't offended the Goddess of
the piano soul.

Terry Farrell