Soundboard drydown for installation

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Jan 18 17:15:11 MST 2008

Hi Terry (and Mike, and Ric).

If I get you all right, there is no need for drying the ribbed panel again
before gluing it in the piano.
But then, if I understand well, there would be no problem either gluing the
ribbed board in the piano in a 60 % humidity environment, and let the piano
undergo severe winters at 28 % either.  Is this what you think ?
If so, I have to admit I must update my own thoughts (which happens often
these last days), for example about soundboard cracks causes.
So all the climate matters are between the ribs and the board (and the
method of assembling), right ?

By the way, my miserable board did come back to normal shape (after 48
hours) and is glorious again.  I see no reason anymore to commit suicide
today.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

'Course, none of this actually works - the ribs won't shrink much, the panel

top edge will just crush when it expands the 1/10 mm that it might move and
the rim has enough flex to negate any "arch" support.