Soundboard drydown for installation

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 19 04:27:05 MST 2008

Hi Terry.

This is another bit that has bothered me ever since Ron's experiment
article.  On the one hand one states that the edges of the panel will
simply crush as it attempts to expand when constrained in the fashion
the <<buttressed arch>> idea employs.  Yet Ron reports that the panel
thus constrained simply didn't take on any crown. These two strike me as
mutually exclusive.  If the edges indeed would simply crush when
subjected to such pressure ... then what would prevent his experiment
board from crowning ?  If the edges are strong enough to keep the panel
from crowning, then it would seem to me that they are strong enough to
help support crown if they were first asked to..... which of course is a
different question all together.

    'Course, none of this actually works - the ribs won't shrink much,
    the panel
    top edge will just crush when it expands the 1/10 mm that it might
    move and
    the rim has enough flex to negate any "arch" support.

    Terry Farrell