Soundboard drydown for installation

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 19 06:29:41 MST 2008

Hi Patrick

Sounds like the Udo I know alright. Very deeply committed to the CC
board. And yes his pianos are very nice sounding indeed. His small
grands are especially impressive sounding for their size.  Did you get a
chance to hear anything about the Phoenix grand he is collaborating work
on ?

The thing is that here is yet another variation on the theme.  Udo puts
the long bridge on the board before ribbing.... and suggests (I suppose
he has some data to back this up) that compression ridges are less
likely to occur when doing this all else being equal.  Hamburg ribs
first using curved ribs and much higher EMC..... and turn around and dry
the soundboard to a lower EMC then when ribbed in order to attach the
bridge. The bridge is also in the hotbox if I remember right.... but I
will check.

Soo.... leaving aside all the rhetoric about universal truths.... what
is the reasoning behind these two different approaches... what are they
trying to accomplish ?

Cheers
RicB

    Udo Steingraeber gave a presentation at a Boston PTG gathering this past
    Tuesday evening (n his way to NAMM in Anaheim). An engaging speaker, and
    obviously deeply steeped in generations of his family's technical
    traditions.Udo told us his soundboards are brought down to 4% EMC before
    assembly. While the ribs are straight when glued on, Mr. Steingraeber
    emphasized that the long bridge is attached to the soundboard BEFORE the
    ribbing assembly, and that the bottom of the long bridge is concave,
    resulting in a Bridge Crowned Soundboard before the Compression Crown is
    introduced by the ribs. He indicated compression ridges are more
    likely if
    the crown isn't first set by his method of attaching the pre-crowned
    long
    bridge.
    The model 168 he had with him sounded great, and I believe he's
    introducing
    a 7' 7" semi-concert grand at NAMM.
    Patrick Draine