Manually pre-compressing a panel... was Soundboard drydown forinstallation

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 10:49:04 MST 2008

> Since the inevitable compression set of the soundboard panel will come
> sooner or later...

Why is compression set inevitable? I believe it is on most any compression
crowned soundboard. But if you build a rib crowned and supported soundboard
assembly and don't expose the piano to extremes of humidity, the panel will
not want to shrink or swell much and as such, should never experience
compression set.

> and since compressed wood is somewhat stiffer then uncompressed wood in
> the direction of compression...

Ummm, I guess it probably is (I'm not an expert with that and I don't
compress my panels much at all). But whereas compressed wood might be
stiffer than uncompressed wood, compression-damaged or compression-set wood
shouldn't be any stiffer than uncompressed wood.

> why hasn't anyone tried pre-compressing a panel so as to push it way past
> its compression limits... essentially taking future compression set out of
> the picture entirely... and then build a RC&S assembly with the thing ?

Well, maybe because it is easier to work with spruce lumber rather than
spruce pulp? And besides, if you crush the wood, you will then have more
wood in less volume - a lower strength to weight ratio (not to mention how
crushing the wood would likely have negative effects on the wood strength).
The reason I build soundboards from Sitka Spruce lumber is that it is the
highest strength to weight ratio wood. Or maybe I don't understand where you
are going with your statement.

Terry Farrell