Manually pre-compressing a panel... was Soundboard drydown forinstallation

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 13:41:28 MST 2008

> Remembering a discussion from some years back where Del stated in pretty
> clear text that a carefully removed and de-ribbed old compression damaged
> board could be re-ribbed as a RC & S board and perform pretty much
> identically to a brand new panel assembled in the same manner.

Yes, I believe I have heard him say the same thing.

> Then reading a study from one of the departments of the Finnish equivalent
> of the USFD which shows that wood that is artificially aged in a
> particular manner... in which the cells are compressed makes certain gains
> with regards to stiffness and the speed of sound which travels across the
> grain is higher.

Again, crush the wood into smaller volume, you may well increase stiffness.
Hard maple is stiffer than spruce. But Sitka Spruce has the highest strength
(I guess I am assuming strength is something pretty close to stiffness) to
weight ratio.

> I dont mean to literally mush the thing into pulp as Terry puts it.  But
> what would be so wrong about getting it just past the point of the cells
> elastic limit... and then ribbing the thing.

Well, for one, I don't think that is going to happen. Each annular ring is
composed of spring/summer wood (very low density) and fall/winter wood (very
dense). Actually, it is a continuum - the least dense in the early spring
and the most dense in the winter or fall. So as you compress the board, you
will push the low density zones (stripes of spring wood) past their elastic
limit - but the more dense stuff will require more pressure. I really don't
know how it would all shake out, but I suspect by the time you applied
enough pressure to push the dense wood past it's elastic limit, the spring
wood would indeed be pulp. I think your board would fall apart. I think
there is little doubt it would crack all over the place.

> It would seem to me that one advantage of ribbing an old board thats gone
> through all this already... is that ... well its finished with that.
> Crowned as an RC & S assembly wouldn't this be as about as stable as they
> can come ?

My thought on this is that the old panel has gone through SOME of this -
enough for the board to have lost its crown, etc. But if you want to abuse
it more, I suspect the average old board has all sorts of potential to fall
apart further.

That's why I say that IMHO a better way to avoid compression damage to a
soundboard panel is to build a well designed rib crowned and supported
soundboard assembly, install it into the piano, and then don't abuse it by
subjecting it to extremes of humidity.

Terry Farrell