Soundboard drydown for installation

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Sat Jan 19 15:03:35 MST 2008

A few cents...ladies and gents,

I've heard before that Hamburg pre-crowns ribs, but this was contradicted by
Hartwig inside the factory. I would love some confirmation, Ric, and any
other juicy tidbits you might be able to extract. I understand they're a lot
more open in Hamburg than NY.

As for Steingraber, they seem to be the only company that is really trying
to preserve a dome shape to their boards. Not only do they glue a
pre-crowned treble bridge to an unribbed board, they also custom fit the rim
all the way round, which makes more sense than assuming a 1 degree angle on
three sides will yield anything except more stress (not that I'm saying more
stress is undesirable). The Germans seem to have done copious research on
stress in soundboards as a tone-producing ingredient, according to Sauter.
There are many texts in German which have yet to be translated into English.

The Steingraber bass bridge is attached after the board is installed because
of the many centemeter variations in the plate casting. The bass bridge is
therefore hallowed out at the root to allow it to flex onto the crown of the
board.

Regards,

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC