Soundboard drydown for installation

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 15:04:52 MST 2008

At 10:45 -0500 19/1/08, Farrell wrote:

>Again, I agree with Ron - the darn thing won't crown anyway from rim
>constraint.

Quite so, but let's leave opinion aside and look at the reality of
the matter, which seems to be something like this.

Consider a section of soundboard 6" wide with one rib.  Consider them
first separately.  Which will it be easier to bend a certain amount?
No contest : the 6" strip of board will bend with the slightest
effort and the rib with great difficulty.

The picture below is a scale drawing, which you can see (using
Firefox or Opera or Safari) as an SVG file which you can enlarge if
you wish. Click
<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/temp/crown.svg>here or on the
image to view the file.  How to zoom it will depend on your browser.

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/temp/crown.svg>
I have exaggerated the crown to a radius of 15ft.  The length of the
section is 500 mm.

Note that lines of force acting between the two red lines run mainly
through the rib, preponderating if anything slightly towards the top
of the rib.

When wood takes on moisture it expands, as we all know, but it
doesn't expand isotropically -- far from it; the expansion along the
grain is practically negligeable in comparison to the expansion
across the grain.  I'm not looking at any figures at the moment but I
imagine the difference for softwoods is even more marked.

So the assembly takes on moisture... not only does the rib expand as
a result by but a negligeable amount but whatever expansion there is
will tend if anything to make it bend downwards and reduce the crown.

As you have just pointed out, spruce compresses very easily across
the grain has  low elasticity across the grain.  Whatever expansion
there is of the soundboard across the grain (left to right in the
picture), and there will be significant expansion, will result in
compression of the wood within or beyond the yield point, but any
power it might have to make any difference to the crown will be
completely negated by the action of the rib and the forces to which
this is subjected.

Incidentally I have drawn the rib as it would be in a soundboard made
in the English fashion, ie. planed to radius before assembly and
planed straight on the underside after the assembly has settled down
to the normal environment.

JD