Soundboard drydown for installation

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 16:28:36 MST 2008

At 23:46 +0100 19/1/08, Richard Brekne wrote:

>For clarification please.  Are you saying that as the panel takes on
>humidity the ribbed assembly will experience a reduction in crown...
>and not increase ?

The forces are quite different according to whether the soundboard is
stuck in and clamped down or not, strung or not.  Of course the free
assembly will crown up as the board takes on moisture.  That's how
this whole topic began -- with Stéphane's drama, and that's how the
soundboard is given its crown by the English method, as I've
explained twice recently on the list, so why would I be saying that?

JD