Soundboard drydown for installation

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 19 16:52:11 MST 2008

Hmm.. So what are you saying here....  are you saying that a soundboard
that is glued into place in the rim then will loose crown as it takes on
humidity ? If so... please explain further.

RicB

    Richard Brekne wrote:

         >For clarification please.  Are you saying that as the panel
        takes on
         >humidity the ribbed assembly will experience a reduction in
        crown...
         >and not increase ?

    The forces are quite different according to whether the soundboard is
    stuck in and clamped down or not, strung or not.  Of course the free
    assembly will crown up as the board takes on moisture.  That's how
    this whole topic began -- with Stéphane's drama, and that's how the
    soundboard is given its crown by the English method, as I've
    explained twice recently on the list, so why would I be saying that?

    JD