Hammer re-facing and blow distance

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Jan 20 07:02:20 MST 2008

Yesterday I did a hammer re-facing on a client's 1929 Challen upright.

Hammer re-facing is a job I enjoy doing.  I take care to keep a proper
shape, and it never seems all that difficult to me, yet I have seen some
horrible jobs. Recently I saw a piano where the hammers were all lop-sided
because someone had done a very crude re-facing by filing (with I know not
what implement, the hammer felt looked all roughed-up) from the top side
only, towards and over the striking face. The hammer bottoms had not been
touched.

I was musing about the conventional wisdom which says that after re-facing,
the blow distance should be adjusted by packing felt behind the hammer rest
rail, and the action re-regulated.  In practice I have seldom done this
after re-facing.  There is the practical consideration of what the customer
would be willing to pay, balanced with the very substantial improvement to
an old piano that can be made just by re-facing.

What I was thinking, is this: If you re-face carefully, you don't increase
the blow distance beyond what it already is, because you only file the
hammers to the level of the bottom of the exisiting grooves. The existing
blow distance is from the bottom of the grooves to the strings.  If the
action is reasonably good at that distance, and it's not a top-grade piano
or a customer with lots of money, is it necessary to mess with packing the
rest rail etc?  A fairly quick hammer re-facing, along with tightening all
flange screws and taking up lost morion, can make a huge difference to the
sound and feel of a semi-decent old upright, at reasonable cost.

And in any case, adjusting the blow distance to what it originally might
have been, does not restore the piano to what it was, as it now has smaller
hammers and an altered action geometry.

Best regards,

David.