Hammer re-facing and blow distance

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jan 20 07:26:45 MST 2008

> If the
> action is reasonably good at that distance, and it's not a top-grade piano
> or a customer with lots of money, is it necessary to mess with packing the
> rest rail etc?

No, it is not necessary. A complete job would indeed include regulating blow distance, etc. But you are correct that just by filing hammers down to the base of the existing grooves, you haven't changed blow or let-off or anything else.

> A fairly quick hammer re-facing, along with tightening all
> flange screws and taking up lost motion, can make a huge difference to the
> sound and feel of a semi-decent old upright, at reasonable cost.

Yes. But I'm curious why you separate out regulating lost motion from the rest of regulating tasks. Just because you have filed the hammers, doesn't dictate regulating lost motion. However, I do agree that lost motion regulation on a long-neglected piano is often one of the most beneficial single regulating steps.

Everything else you've stated sounds like pretty sound thinking to me.

Terry Farrell