luthier - someone who builds or restores stringed instruments

mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 20 13:08:20 MST 2008

Hey Guys: Just read an article in the news paper this morning about a guy who repairs and restores guitars and other strung instruments in New Orleans. This, of course, was in reference to damages done by Katrina. However, that's not the point of my question. I am curious as to if you, or anyone you know who rebuilds pianos. belongs to the Guild of American Luthiers. If so,what are the benefits. It seems to me that I have heard comments to the effect that harpsichord builders are in the luthiers guild. Why not piano re-builders?
Gerald McCleskey RPT
Shreveport, LA