Dead Bass Strings

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jan 22 10:15:50 MST 2008

Unless the store is willing to pay for the repair,  I'd tell the customer
to trade it in for something better. Help him look at what else the store
has to offer.  Anyway, you're in for a big repair.  Epoxy may help... or
the bridge could just be shot. Were there lots of big splits down the
bridge?  How was the treble bridge?  How old is the piano?  Wurlitzer
spinets aren't worth much and a bic lighter may help the best! <G>

Paul

"Steven J. Hopp" <hoppsmusic at hotmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
01/22/2008 09:48 AM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

<pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Dead Bass Strings

Hello again,

I recently went to do a tuning on a Wurlitzer spinet.  Both copper wound
bass string at the break were "thuddy".  No sustain to the sound.  The
lower strings were fine.  I decided to try changing the string to see if
it would be better.  No dice.  Upon removal of the string however, I found
the bass bridge pins to be so loose I could remove them with my fingers.
What is the best repair for this?  The client just purchased this "used"
piano from a dealer who is willing to trade back the piano and let them
choose something else.   Thanks for the help!

Steven