Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 22 13:45:08 MST 2008

A Bechstein I replaced the pinblock on about 12 years ago had two small
wooden blocks place on each side of every plate bolt that were what  was
used to set the plate height. I have no idea if it was original.. but I
suppose it was given the location of the instrument.  I cant think that
anyone had had the plate out before. It was an oldie... from around
1915-1920.  These blocks sat right on the edge of the soundboard... so
the plate was holding the soundboard down more or less...

Cheers
RicB

     >    Actually some are.  Some old instruments have a piece of wood
     >running all the way round the edge of the board that is glued on
     >then the plate sits on it.  Weber comes to  mind.
     >    But you are correct...Not usually.

    Not usually in American pianos perhaps.  Very usually in English and
    German pianos.  On the older ones the hardwood strip is screwed down
    on top of the soundboard so that the board is clamped even before the
    metal frame goes in.

    JD