Soundboard drydown for installation

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 13:57:25 MST 2008

At 10:43 -0500 22/1/08, Erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

>even my own practice I can see a huge belly before it goes in but as
>the board conforms to the rim some of that extra crown disappears.

So do you angle the rim to conform to the crown that you're going to
end up with when the piano is strung or steeper?

>  I think the numbers of radii you state are fine.  I've introduced
>some pretty steep crown with my methods/press/ribsÊwith no adverse
>results.  How much is too much.  I dunno

To my way of thinking crown _in_itself_ is of no value, and I know of
many excellent-sounding pianos that have virtually no measurable
crown in the finished state.  Take off the strings and up comes the
crown.  The importance of crowning is the resulting springiness of
the board which is due to the compression of the summer growth
initially by the process of drying the board and then letting it try
to bend the ribs, and subsequently by pushing it down with the force
of the strings, thus compressing the fibres, most at the top surface
of the board.  Further compression results when the board takes up
more moisture than ideally it would be allowed to, and the result of
this, if the compression of the board is already near the limit, will
be failure of the least resilient line(s) of summer growth and
so-called "compression marks".  Although there is some truth, in my
experience, in the statement that compression marks are the sign of a
good piano, since I have seen them only in good pianos, there is
nothing intrinsically good about a compression mark, since it means
usually that too much compression was created in the earlier
processes.  All the compression mark does is slightly reduce the
compression and render the board unsightly. For makers to claim that
a compression mark is a good thing and a sign that they've done their
work properly is, to me, nonsense.  It's like a waitress claiming she
pours a good cup of tea because some of it always ends up in the
saucer.

As to bridges with concave bottoms and all that,  I ask what on earth
for?  If the board is compressed as much as possible in order to
release pressure when too dry without cracking and build pressure
when too wet without giving way in compression failure, then it is
going to work well.  Getting that balance right seems to be the
perennial problem.  At least when a compression mark forms you can be
pretty sure they were near the mark even if they overshot it.

And I'd like to know what is supposed to be achieved by forcing the
board to curve along the grain, which has the effect, surely, simply
of producing a curve for its own sake.  Sure there's nothing new
about the idea but two makers at least that I know who did this
stopped doing it in about 1885, presumably for good reason.

JD