Soundboard drydown for installation

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Tue Jan 22 14:56:55 MST 2008

On January 22, 2008 JD wrote:

---- big snip ---

All the compression mark does is slightly reduce the
compression and render the board unsightly. For makers to claim that
a compression mark is a good thing and a sign that they've done their
work properly is, to me, nonsense.  It's like a waitress claiming she
pours a good cup of tea because some of it always ends up in the
saucer.

--- big snip ---

John:

When a sounding board has a compression ridge that is a spot where the
integrity of the board - as a single piece - has been compromised.  That
is also the place that will open up as a crack when low humidity
arrives.  However, a direct quote from the new Steinway World-Wide
Technical Reference Guide:

"A Note about Soundboards:

"An important feature found in the Steinway is the design and
installation of the soundboard. This
system is manufactured in such a way that it is constantly under
compression, which prevents the
soundboard from relaxing. It is for this reason that compression ridges
may occur. Compression
ridges are a cosmetic indication that the soundboard has simply absorbed
moisture from the
atmosphere.

"Compression ridges are in no way considered by Steinway to be a concern
as to the piano's
performance or a defect in the craftsmanship of the instrument. In fact,
the presence of such ridging
is a result of a well-seasoned and properly designed and installed board
as it adapts to certain
environments and climate conditions. By design the Steinway soundboard
is under compression
and tightly fit to the rim of the piano. This system of compression is a
key component in producing
the richness and beauty of the Steinway tone. As a result, compression
ridging can occur as the
piano becomes acclimated to or changes with its environment and the
soundboard absorbs moisture.
This ridging does not mean that the board is cracked. The opposite is
true. The board is under
tension and functioning as it should. Also, if there is no separation
between the board and the ribs
under the board this is an indication that both board and ribs are
functioning as a homogeneous unit
producing the unique tone of the Steinway piano. This ridging is not
something new to Steinway.
It has been documented and addressed in Steinway documentation since the
late 1800s."

So, since compression ridges are so wonderful, should I be disappointed
in the 26 Steinways that we have that lack this feature?

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu