Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 15:19:52 MST 2008

At 21:44 +0100 22/1/08, StŽphane Collin wrote:

>...And of course, no, the Bechstein can not do effortless all what
>the Steinway can, but what he can do, he does so well.

I have encountered charming Bechsteins but they have all been from
about 1885 to 1899 before they introduced the new styles.  Very early
Bechsteins I find worthless and the later ones not at all
interesting, but just occasionally I'll come across one of the old
style 6'6" grands that really draws me in and speaks to me.
Unfortunately Bechstein was careless both with cast iron and with
soundboards and to find one of this age that has survived is a rare
occurrence.  I must say I avoid them generally.  Give me a Lipp any
day.

JD