Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue Jan 22 16:09:10 MST 2008

Hi John.

I highly agree with you about the Lipp instruments quality, while I
encountered too few of them.
I also agree with your Bechstein selection, while my three all times
favourite ones were from the 1870ies, two of them 8 foot straight strung.
One of those was chosen by Jos van Immerseel for a Brahms concerto
performance at the Concergebouw in Amsterdam, with Lubimov as pianist.
Indeed, I bought many Bechstein pianos in UK, and the first thing that they
did when imported in Belgium (dryer climate) is develop cracks immediately.
Not so with the Knabe I was working on lately: he did stand the dry winter
here, even while my damp machine was broken.  Could it be that Bechstein
prepared some soundboards especially intended to go to (wetter) UK ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.