Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 22 17:48:01 MST 2008

There's more than one way to control soundboard flexibility around its
perimeter than by panel tapering. Most soundboards I build are 8mm uniform
thickness - no tapering, and IMHO these soundboards are very responsive. Rib
tapering can be used to control soundboard flexibility at the edges.

And when you think about it - why on earth would you taper bass half (just
not considering the treble) of a soundboard panel more-or-less evenly around
the perimeter? Sounds logical, but have you ever played around with an
unribbed panel? They are quite stiff along the grain, but like a wet noodle
cross grain. Meaning that tapering a panel where the grain is running
roughly perpendicular to the edge will indeed increase flexibility - but
areas where the panel grain is running roughly parallel to the panel edge
already has an extremely flexible panel. It doesn't make any sense to me to
taper anywhere near evenly around the perimeter. It would seem to me that if
you want to try to control soundboard flexibility by tapering the panel, you
would taper the panel at the bass end where the panel grain is roughly
perpendicular to the panel edge - and even then I'll bet you'd have to cut
most of the way through the panel to get that area as flexible and the
untapered areas where grain runs parallel to the edge.

Terry Farrell