Charge more to tune a Steinway?

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Jan 23 06:58:34 MST 2008

I'd guess it's an experience issue, Julia.  Why does it take you longer on S&S?  Is it the lack of plate bushings?  If so, that just takes some getting used to (experience) but isn't really all that difficult, just a different feel, IMO.  If it IS an experience issue, clients shouldn't be paying you to learn.

JMO,
William R. Monroe

  Greetings,

            Does anyone else out there feel that you need more time to tune Steinways? Is it just me or what? I am thinking of charging alittle more to tune them. I have been tuning for 5 years.

  Julia Gottshall,
  Reading, PA