Titebond Liquid Hide Glue specs...was the glue

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 23 07:15:14 MST 2008

I stand corrected. I just received a response from Franklin technical:

"The Titebond Liquid Hide Glue will soften with high humidity, often above 60%. Most pianos don't see that extreme, even in Tampa, where humidity is high."

So I guess it is most reasonable to believe the part about liquid hide being affected by high humidity. I have monitored my home extensively and for a good part of the year the RH is between 60% and 75% - so whereas I have to believe what they say about the glue characteristics, they are incorrect about common indoor RH.

So now for the practical question: So HOW MUCH does liquid hide glue soften with high humidity? Enough for it to be a concern using it for the soundboard/rim joint? Is hot hide glue similarly affected by humidity? If so, then I would say there is little concern with liquid hide glue softening with high humidity.

Maybe I'm glad I used Titebond Extend on my last soundboard installation.....

Terry Farrell