Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 24 12:53:53 MST 2008

I'm sure there is something amusing there.... be that as is may it would
be nice with a serious answer to a serious question. I, and no doubt
several others, would be quite interested to know how to calculate the
amount of compression that develops in a panel used in an RC&S assembly
for a given deflection % of unloaded crown.

 Hey Jude.... see what I mean about having to weed through the jungle ?  :)

Cheers
RicB

        I've always loved the story of the little red hen.

        David Love
        davidlovepianos at comcast.net
        www.davidlovepianos.com

    Please then, by all means expound.  How much compression is imparted
    into the panel with a typical RC&S design you are working with when
    down
    bearing is applied so as to take the board to with in 75 % of flat...
    i.e. leaving 25 % of original crown.  Take a panel dried to 6.5 %...
    specify the rib radii for a three or four areas of the panel.  How do
    you calculate the degree of compression created ?  This is a point I
    think many of us would benefit from.

    Cheers
    RicB