R,C&S question

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 07:13:28 MST 2008

 Ron
  Coming up for air mate?
  Nice to hear from you.  I guess I missed that  part.  I didn't realize the
Rochester piano had a laminated board. Oh well  it still sounded truly
unbelievable.  SO I guess it doesn't effect my  opinion of what I heard....grin.
What Kind of crown did this board have  before it was glued in? Is the crown a
variable radius  design?
cheers
  Dale

Several of the new pianos we've built had a laminated panel, including  the
piano we exhibited in Rochester in 2006. Here's an image of the soundboard  for
no. 6, just before it was fitted.

http://members.optuszoo.com.au/ronovers/NO6.14.jpg

These boards, with the piano strung and at pitch, remain crowned enough  for
a string line across the underside of the mid-panel to nearly clear the
height of the soundboard buttons. Crown remains over the entire area of the
soundboard, without any of the typical overloading at the bridge 'lines' and  the
perimeter of the soundboard.

There's more evolution left in the piano yet. Let's not let the  stagnation
of the past century put us off. Let's make the new piano century  one for
history in the making.

Ron O.
--

48)