American& European attitudes toward recrown or replace

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Jan 26 07:24:31 MST 2008

Ric

  Ok Ok...Perhaps it was my can of worm statement  for the month
 Well it is just, my own,,, opinion based on my history  of practice. I do,
as you may, know continue with an open mind. I did manage  to get my own
Steinway B board out intact & am pondering the what to do  for fun question. But on
a routine basis I probably would lose money. Can  somebody else here do this &
report back. I don't have time to develop  more new protocols right now.
  Dale

This is another one of those  in reality totally fascinating areas for
discussion that sadly ends up  nearly always in folks gnashing at each
other.  Gets into all kinds  of factors that end up being significant
determinants respective to what  one concludes.... like what ones
perception of musical sound is.  It  struck me the other day whilst
reading some of the latest round of  Soundboard posts that it is not the
world of pianists who are worst stuck  in their mold of Steinway
worship.... no no no no no... They at least  appreciate on some level or
another a vast huge ocean of musical  sound....even from the <<piano>>
thingy.  But piano  technicians however.... my gawd in wholey
hootville... what we don't  <<know>> absolutely and universally.  We
routinely  enforce our own perceptions of what good tone is and isn't on
pianists all  the time.  For example.... how many of you reacted
negatively to that  recording of the old Pleyel Stéphane Collin put up a
couple weeks back ?  Perhaps some of you think an old C melody saxophone
sucks and a new Buffet  R-13 B-flat clarinet is ok ? :)

Cheers
RicB

HI   JD
I have  thoroughly heard that parade on the list for quite
some time.  A
position I don't  share for the most part but then there are
times it's
warranted.  My Motto is.... If  it aint't broke don't' fix
it.....if it is  then let's
not procrastinate about  it.
Dale

The tradition in Europe is to salvage the soundboard at  all  costs.
I think
>that's  based more on tradition and  attitude about maintaining the
integrity
>of the original instrument   than whether the soundboard is actually
>performing  its engineering  function in an effective manner or can
even with
>extensive   repairs...

48)