R,C&S question JD

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jan 27 08:51:54 MST 2008

Ric/JD
  Even if a compression Crowned board could bend those  short treble ribs
into a 60 ft radius it would be negligibly  measurable.  SO 25 % of residual
crown of that is almost zip.  Del  & others  have made the case that the upper
treble area is driven  primarily by mass & stiffness due to the smaller board
area & stiff  ribs... I agree.
  I crown these ribs as tight as 15 ft but even so on  a 15 inch rib were
only talking scant MM or 2. But I like having something to  push against that
resembles real crown.
  Makes sense?
  Dale

Hi  JD

Your understanding of the RC & S board seems pretty solid to me.  One
point I'm less sure on is the amount of compression in the panel after
the strings are on. The ribs are more solid as you say... and short ribs
with tight radii are not all that easy to bend.  Yet there is a  stated
goal of applying enough downbearing so that 25 % of the unloaded  crown
remains after stringing. That strikes me as equating to a good deal  of
compression in the panel. Looking around these past few days and asking
questions in a variety of places... I'm left wondering if there IS any
direct way of figuring just how much compression a given lateral load on
a beam will build up in the panel. Perhaps its a matter of looking
around long enough... perhaps it just hasn't been considered directly
much for the same reasons that tension along the grain of beams doesn't
seem to attract too much attention in wood engineering  texts.