R,C&S question Jude

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jan 27 14:43:28 MST 2008

    BTW, while I don't make CC boards anymore,  I did apprentice in a
    shop for several years that made about 20 CC boards a year and I
    have to say it was like being in the Wild West. We were total
    cowboys. The only thing we paid attention to was emc (3.5%). Rib
    dimensions came right off the old board, the compression crowning
    was all over the place depending on the time of year and size of the
    panels/ribs, and we set distance bearing with the spare change in
    our pocket. Yee haw! Boy were those days fun and also one of the
    reasons that I'm so compulsive now. :)

    Jude  Reveley, RPT

Hey Jude

The thing is... there is a difference between putting together a brand
new board....  and trying to figure out what was done in an old one.  In
the former one is supposed to know the amount of downwards pressure a
given scale for given string deflection angles will require in terms of
support by the assembly when deciding on the ribs structure and amount
of compression one decides to use.  Trying to figure this requirement by
looking only at an old existing rib scale and whatever bearing there was
left is of course hopeless.  What made the process you describe below
unpredictable is that you guys didnt take into consideration enough of
what you were doing..... kind of like my own <<mistake>> with the bass
in my latest project. The reason the RC&S guys succeed is that they KNOW
ahead of time what kind of support against downbearing they will be
requiring... and they design exactly that into the ribs. In the process
they ignore whatever compression issues there are (or are not) outside
of assuming that 6 % dry down will be more or less sufficient to prevent
tension cracks during dry seasons.  Doesn't look to me that these
fellows can describe how much compression builds up because of
downbearing any more then I've been able to pump out of CC folks through
the years.  I rather imagine at this point the CC folks arrived at their
rib dimensions, methods for achieving so and so much crown to yield so
and so much support rather empirically through the years... each factory
with its own solution... and unless you knew enough about what they did
at glue up... you're shooting in the dark by trying to simply duplicate
the panel using a fixed dry down EMC and an existing rib set.

What I'd like to know is basically how to predict the resultant support
for down bearing in a CC board.  Should be a doable.  One needs
certainly to know the rib dimensions... how easily they will bend....
but one also needs to know how to calculate the panels contribution to
the assemblies overall strength.... which means you need to know how
much compression you are creating before loading the panel... and how
much further compression you are creating by loading the thing.
Compression from loading in a CC panel stresses the ribs more exerting
further crowning force on them....while the downward force in itself
exerts more or less the opposite force on the ribs.  Strikes me that if
you know how to calculate these moments.... then a CC board becomes as
predictable as any other and all thats left to argue about is the bit
about compression set and damage...

Cheers
RicB