Laminated panels

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Jan 28 05:47:10 MST 2008

Alan,

I think this speaks to the cardboards ability to absorb energy, rather than
it's strength.  Much like the race car that crushes and comes flying apart
in the event of a crash.  Design is not for strength there, but to absorb as
much energy as possible before the driver experiences whatever energy is
left.

William R. Monroe

> Corrugated cardboard is actually incredibly strong for what it is. The
> army here tested various methods of throwing parcels out of planes to see
> which method would result in the least damage . The test was to throw out
> a piano wrapped in various materials from the plane, attached to a
> parachute of course, and found that cardboard was the winner. No damage to
> Olde Birdcage!

SNIP