RC&S question in general

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jan 28 15:20:37 MST 2008

Cool Frank.  I'd like to see what it says about this bit below....
Thanks for the post.

Cheers
RicB

     > The only unpredictability I see in any of this is the lack of
    anyone to
     > be able to describe in math mechanics terms the functioning of
    the rib
     > restraining against a glued panel wanting to expand due to a given
     > downwards force on the panel. If this was calculated... all the
    guess
     > work goes out of the compression reliant picture as it is the only
     > <<unknown>> factor.

I recently received the 2008 version of SolidWork, and am just getting
into some of its newest features.  So far, I know that I can create a
grand rim assembly, assigning the material properties from an internal
database for each part.  I can define a motion study to analyze the
movement, stress and strain exerted on the various parts when a variety
of forces are applied.  In the end, this can quantify and predicted the
movement of each component in the system.  Unfortunately, orthotropic
materials are not supported without an expensive add-in, so I'll have to
look into that when I get back to the states.  I'll let the computer do
the math for me.  With the right tools, more calculation can be done in
milliseconds than could be done in a lifetime.  Not an expensive toy ...
a powerful tool.

Frank Emerson