Laminated panels (Farrell)

Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano juderev at verizon.net
Tue Jan 29 08:22:34 MST 2008

Hey Fenton,

  Hi Terry and Jude,
  I'm following this with interest and think I'm missing something. I can't for the life of me see any weakness, from a strictly structural standpoint, of any component being laminated. This, I would think, would only help to increase stability and uniformity. Unless, of course the adhesive were faulty. Since we are assuming these components will not be below the water line or subjected to high heat, almost any accepted wood glue should be fine. I guess sub freezing temperatures should be considered. There is such a huge area of glue joint, I can't imagine a failure, but, I'm intrigued by your concern Jude, I hope you will share some of your research.

  Maybe there is no need for concern. I would refer everyone to read Bruce Hoadley's "Understanding Wood" if you haven't already, and if you have, reread the section on the strength of wood. There are several entries on horizontal sheer. I would be interested in any informed statements on its application to laminated ribs and panels.

  BTW, Jude, I just got a tour of Rick Wheeler's shop, he say's hi. Loved your piano in Rochester.
  Fenton

  Thanks, that piano was a real challenge unto itself; and I was shaking in my boots given the company (remember my piano was right between Ron N's, Dale Erwin's and David Anderson"s). Rick is a pretty clever guy, isn't he.

  Best,

  Jude