Laminated panels (Farrell)

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 12:44:13 MST 2008

>Why would this be a factor?

No, it's got nothing to do with dimensional changes, but rather the rate of glue cure. My understanding (minimal as it is) is that if the wood is too dry it will attract/draw the water out of the glue before it can dry in its proper manner and thus create a weak glue joint - it weakens the glue if the water is extracted too quickly.

>Wouldn't having the bottom lam 90 to the above lam hold a radius better. Like a rib. Why have them close to parallel?

In this particular case, I'm not sure why Richard Brekne chose to keep them close to parallel. Likely to keep as much stiffness up there as is possible. As far as laminating some crown in the panel, I suspect you are correct that a 90 lam would make things bend easier and have less relaxation with only three laminations. But we were able to place the desired amount of crown in it and I suppose it will make it more stiff.

We should probably ask a designer 'bout this stuff!   ;-)

Terry Farrell