ethics thing

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 09:27:50 MST 2008

My customers get a "free" estimate of needed repairs/adjustments and my
opinion of whether the piano is worth doing those things to whenever I'm
called to tune.
If the piano is untunable I explain to them why using the piano as
my example since most people don't understand the terminology we use even
when we simplify. I collect for a service call and leave.
My ethics remain with the person who is PAYING me as long as I am not asked
to vouch for anything about the piano that is untrue, dishonest or
deceitful. I will tell them so and make suggestions from how to market their
piano to how to transfer it to the landfill.
I do not judge the quality of the type(spinet, console, studio, old upright)
or piano make (Old American, 80's American, Japanese, Korean, Chinese)
unless I'm asked to do so or in a few other rare cases. One example, I was
called to rectify a problem caused by a tooner and while doing so the
conversation turned to the girl's progress in piano. She had been taking
lessons and playing 8 years and seemed to have plateaued, the mother was
asking if perhaps I knew another teacher. I suggested that perhaps it was
the piano rather than the teacher, she asked what I meant, so I explained
that the piano a Wurlitzer spinet was an OK instrument for a beginner but
for a Freshman in high school who had been playing for 8 years it could be
holding her back. I went on to explain the difference between a spinet and
direct blow action (a grand was out of the question) and offered my services
to advise when and if they found a more suitable instrument.
I don't do that often but I do ascertain the customer's use, abilities and
expectations.
Ultimately if I get too strident about what I think they should do to their
piano and they don't want to there are others who they can call to take my
place. It's their home, their piano I make suggestions based on my knowledge
and experience but in the end they have to want to and be able to afford to

Mike

--
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com