Plugging and redrilling an action rail

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 11:10:01 MST 2008

I'm preparing in my mind a job that needs to be done and which I
haven't done before.

The problem is with an otherwise quite nice overstrung by Wilhelm
Spaethe of Gera that will sound good and look good and is therefore
worth restoring and will fetch a good price.

How the mistake was originally made I can't imagine, but the position
of the hammer flange screw on the first plain steel note is about
10mm to the left of where is should be and the error reduces
gradually until about note 55, when things are just about right.

The original finisher got over this difficulty by first sticking the
shanks in the butts at a considerable angle and then twisting the
hammer-head to negate the remaining error.  I have bored out the
butts and got a good set of Wurzen AA hammers from Abel, and shanks,
and they will sound very good.  I now have the option of either
getting a new rail bored correctly from Renner, but almost certainly
with the wrong flange profile and all sorts of other problems, or
plugging and redrilling the existing rail where it is unacceptable.
As to the keys, I'll work out that problem before diving in.

There will be no problem redrilling at the tenor end because the new
holes will not interfere with the old ones, but for 15 or 20 notes --
say 50 holes -- I shall need to be drilling close to or overlapping
the old plugged hole.  I've thought of leather and epoxy for plugging
the holes, but I'd be interested to hear other ideas from people who
have done the job before.  Is there some magic plugging solution that
will produce a durable result and be as good as it should have been
when new?

JD