Laminated panels (Farrell)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 29 13:05:49 MST 2008

> Ron,
> pre-existing split in a lamination layer that was assumed to
>> be solid and sound.
> Wouldn't missing this detail in the glue up be less of an issue than
> missing it in a solid panel.

I was thinking rib. A horizontal split in the second layer
would mean you have a portion of the end of a rib that's only
effectively 7 or 6 millimeters deep.

>One big advantage of laminating is to
> reduce the effect of flaws in individual laminations.

True enough, but when the load is tension on the top
lamination in a rib, the rest of them need to be pretty solid.

>One disadvantage
> to laminating a panel I would think would be the glue up process itself,
> the application of even pressure over a panel would require a serious
> press, I haven't seen it done. An amateur attempt could definitely be a
> failure.
> Fenton

Well, anything by anyone could be a failure if it's done
carelessly. I'd think a vacuum bag would work well enough with
a choice of gap filling glue not needing tons of pressure to
bond. I see the problem of producing large uniform laminate
layers in a small shop.
Ron N