Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 29 14:06:41 MST 2008

Rib extenders are simply additions to the height of the existing ribs.
They can be made with some degree of machined crown so that when glued
they exert an upwards force on the existing assembly.  One can also put
them in a high humidity hotbox and glue them on in a state of very high
MC so as to attempt to take advantage of  their shrinkage as they loose
MC... kind of the reverse of gluing a dried panel on the board.  That
last came to me from Ron Overs recently.  I suppose you could press the
assembly upwards as well and glue on extenders match the surface of the
existing ribs... also a way of increasing crown.

The point with extenders as I understand it is that they increase
existing rib height... which does a lot more for stiffness without
adding as much mass as adding extra ribs will.  Of course you have to
have room to place them... and if you are dealing with very high ribs to
begin with then perhaps this is not such a good idea.  But for shallow
and wide ribs that have lost their gumption.... seems like a good idea.

Cheers
RicB

    "Rib Extenders "??? What's that ???  This one has wide, flat topped
    ribs,. so I thought I might laminate something ( suggestions as per
    materials appreciated ) to their tops, if I'm not happy with the
    crown I get.  I'll tell you all about this recrowning method when
    I'm done, and have more to report per results.

        Peace,
         Thump