Laminated panels (Farrell)

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 29 14:16:01 MST 2008

I'd converse a bit with Terry on this bit.  He constructed a not only a
laminate panel for me but one in which the middle laminate was tapered
so as to disappear 2/3's of the way towards the bass end... and so that
their was about a 60 foot radius of laminate crown in the treble
tapering off to flat where the inside laminate ended.  He did the thing
in his own small shop.  I'll defer to him for any further details.  The
only real problem we ran into was the top layer flitch joins weakened
just enough so that they became a bit more visible then we'd have
liked.  No doubt if he does more of this kind of thing he'll figure out
how to avoid it.  He posted some pics about the process last year and I
am sure they are still around.

Cheers
RicB

    One disadvantage to laminating a panel I would think would be the
    glue up process itself, the application of even pressure over a
    panel would require a serious press, I haven't seen it done. An
    amateur attempt could definitely be a failure.
    Fenton