Plugging and redrilling an action rail

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 15:17:02 MST 2008

At 14:45 -0600 29/1/08, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>...Is the strike line straight and parallel with the keybed?

Yes.

>  Do the wippens, stickers (?) line up with the capstans?

The capstans (which have rather a short wire) have been cranked in
places to make them do so.  This was the first hint I had that all
was not perfect.  At first I cursed the key-maker, then I cursed the
action-maker and the Spaethe people that allowed the job to be
botched.  As I said, I shall be looking at the key scale next before
proceeding.  Almost certainly the key-frame will need to be shifted
and with luck things will line up and I'll be able to straighten the
soldier wires.

>  Are the bass butts too far to the right, or their shanks shorter?

Neither.  The bass is fine all through.

JD