Plugging and redrilling an action rail

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 15:03:44 MST 2008

At 14:19 -0600 29/1/08, Mike Spalding wrote:

>I'm trying to picture the situation, but need more info.  How's the
>butt-to-jack alignment?  If it's good now, what will you do after
>moving the butts over?...

Well I did say about 50 holes -- easily missed!, and that means that
of course I need to re-drill for the levers and the dampers too.
It's not a job you can just wade into.

>   How about action height or shank length?  Coincidentally, your
>hammer position error tapers to zero over the same range that string
>angle tapers to zero.  Coincidence, or clue?  Got a photo?

A pertinent question indeed, but to bring hammer 28 (steel) into line
with the string would necessitate a shank about 3" long, since the
original holes are to the left of where they should be and the strike
line is OK.

I'll take pictures in due course because it's an interesting
exercise.  I'll also describe the process of fitting new shanks and
hammers to an upright using the factory method and also using my
hammer jig, which dies uprights as well as grands.

JD